Sunday, November 4, 2012

How To Stream Video From Ubuntu to Android Over WiFi



I use my Asus Transformer (TF300) to stream most of my video these days. I, however, have a pretty large collection of videos (about 700gb) stored on my Ubuntu laptop that will not fit on my tablet which only has 32gb of storage. Today I figured out a simple way to stream these video files from my Ubuntu laptop to Android over WiFi. Hopefully, this will help anyone trying to solve the same problem. This solution does not require any paid apps, transcoding, and shouldn't require any customized scripts.

  1. Install rygel on Ubuntu
    Rygel is a collection of DLNA services implemented through a plug-in mechanism. To install rygel, simply go to the Software Center and search for "rygel" or type in the following command in terminal:
     sudo apt-get install rygel 

    I should mention that for me, personally, I received an error from terminal and had to install it from visiting UbuntuUpdates, which can be found here.
  2. Install upnplay on Android
    Search for "UPnPlay" from the Google Play Store app and install. Alternately you can go play.google.com and install the app from your browser.
  3. Install MX player on Android
    You can pretty much use any media player you want to, but MX Player is really good at handling video files as it will play just about any file type. Search for MX Player from the Play Store or install from your browser.
  4. Choose the default video directory
    If your videos are located in /Videos, then you can skip this step. If you're like me, you have your video collection in a different directory and must edit /etc/rygel.conf and change the "uris" field to the folders with your media files.
  5. Run Rygel
    Open up terminal and run rygel by typing in the command:
     rygel 
  6. Open UPnPlay
    Open UPnPlay on your Android device. Here you should see your media library in Ubuntu. Locate and select the video you want to play and enjoy.
This has been tested on Ubuntu 12.10, the Samsung Galaxy SII, and the Asus Transformer TF300. If you have any questions, ask below and I'll do my best to answer. 

The Asus Transformer I own that I'm streaming video to:

9 comments:

  1. Works great on a Galaxy Note running 4.0.1 and Ubuntu 12.10

    Protip: make it a startup application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Works beautifully on my Transformer TF101

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, working great on a rockchip hdmi stick

    ReplyDelete
  4. my samsung duos could not find anything

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW ,work great on netcat 15

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool, very simple. Thank you a lot. Do you know an easy way to serve them outside your local LAN. I use PLEX for this, but a freebeer solution would be awesome. I tested this on xubuntu 13.10 with a custom CM10.2 rom on the Galaxy Tab 2 P3113. Flawless detection and very quick response.

    ReplyDelete