Wednesday, January 2, 2013

App Spotlight: Wheres My Droid


If it's portable it's losable. Several months back, I did the unthinkable and left my phone on the bus. Luckily for me I had an application installed called Where's My Droid. With my laptop (and later my friends phone), I was able to track it - travelling down a street going about 30mph, then travelling about 3mph, then stopping at a house about 2 miles from my home. I showed up at the door and told the stranger that I had left my phone on the bus and that I tracked it via GPS to their house. The surprised 50-something year old lady informed me that her daughter had found the phone on the bus and she was going to try to return it to me somehow. Not sure if they were indeed going to return my phone or not, but they were polite and relinquished my device.

Where's My Droid is a free app that you can get off of the Google Play Store. The free version includes advertisements but offers a variety of features - most importantly is of course the GPS locator. The GPS locator works by using another phone and texting your attention word to your phone. In my case, I used the default "WMD GPS", but you can change it to whatever you'd like. 

What I don't like about the app is that the map that is pulled up is not real-time. It will only give you the location at the time your attention word was received. Real-time tracking, a feature that iOS has but is lacking on Android, is something that really needs to be cooked into the application and Android in general. Something I've heard that can be problematic is that if you track it to an apartment complex, you will have a difficult time locating your device as GPS is typically only accurate up to 30 meters. Also, the app will not function if the phone is shut off.

Download: Where's My Droid - Google Play
Website: Wheresmydroid.com

No comments:

Post a Comment